Toyama University Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Center 

Toyama University Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Center 



Sarcoma and Rare Cancer Center

HOME > Clinical Departments > Specific Medical Fields > Sarcoma and Rare Cancer Center

Sarcoma and Rare Cancer Center

The Sarcoma and Rare Cancer Center provides treatment for sarcoma and rare cancers. “Rare cancer” encompasses types of malignant tumors that occur infrequently, with few known cases; as a result, diagnosis, therapy, and other aspects of treatment can prove more challenging than for other, more common types of cancer. The term collectively refers to cancers that occur in fewer than six people out of 100,000. There are over a hundred types of cancer, including sarcoma; glioma; neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas, gastrointestinal tract, lungs, and other organs; skin tumors such as malignant melanoma; ocular tumors such as retinoblastoma and malignant choroidal melanoma; and malignant lymphoma. Consequently, while each of these cancers is rare, they collectively account for some 15–20% of all cancer cases.
Sarcoma is a type of rare cancer that develops from non-epithelial cells (supportive tissue) in bones, or in soft tissue such as muscle, fat, or blood vessels. Sarcoma is exceptionally uncommon, accounting for no more than 1% of all malignant tumors. In addition, there are over 100 different types of sarcoma.
Sarcoma and rare cancers can develop in various sites and tissues throughout the body, in both young and elderly patients. As a result, there can be many challenges when it comes to diagnosis, and various different therapies may be necessary. These characteristics often make it difficult to diagnose or provide treatment for these diseases at facilities that do not specialize in them.
In order to achieve favorable therapeutic outcomes for rare cancers, it is crucial to provide multidisciplinary treatment tailored to each individual patient’s condition, with specialists well versed in diagnosis and treatment in fields such as internal medicine, surgery, pediatrics, radiology, pathology, and clinical oncology to work closely together, transcending individual medical departments. These favorable outcomes necessitate consistent treatment by a unified team of specialists, from initial treatment through advanced stages. For patients, it can be difficult to find information about their rare cancer, or find a medical institution that provides treatment for it.
At the Sarcoma and Rare Cancer Center, we aim to provide patients with accurate medical information, as well as to provide accurate diagnosis and treatment that transcends individual medical departments.

Sarcoma Cancer Board

Sarcoma is a type of cancer that can develop anywhere in the body: some 25% of all sarcomas develop within bones, while the remaining 75% are soft tissue sarcomas. Though sarcoma develops only rarely, histopathological diagnoses (microscopic examinations of pathological tissue) have led to the categorization of over a hundred types each of bone and soft tissue sarcomas. Because this sheer variety can make diagnosis difficult, the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and the Department of Pathology hold case conferences.

Brain Tumors

Neurosurgery — Department of Neurosurgery
To Our Patients

About the Comprehensive Cancer Center
Clinical Results
Contact Us
Clinical Departments
Specific Medical Fields
Advanced Breast Cancer Treatment and Breast Reconstruction Center
Pancreas and Biliary Tract Center
Pediatrics, AYA Generation, and Fertility Center
Robotic Surgery Center
Radiotherapy Center
Oncothermia Center
Blood Oncology Center
Head and Neck Oncology Center
Chest Oncology Center
Gastrointestinal Oncology Center
Urological Oncology Center
Gynecological Oncology Center
Sarcoma and Rare Cancer Center
Genetic Oncology Center
Patient Support Fields
Outpatient Chemotherapy Center
Palliative Care Center
Cancer Rehabilitation Center
Cancer Consultation and Support Center
Japanese Oriental Medicine Center
Treatment Support Fields
Regimen Registry Department
In-House Cancer Registry Department
Human Resource Development Department
Cancer Board Department
Biobank Department
Advanced Medical Care & Research Sections
Advanced Medical Development Center
Cancer Genome Medicine Promotion Center
Cancer Immunotherapy Center
Search by Name of Disease
Oral cancer
Head and neck cancer
Gastrointestinal cancer
Esophageal cancer (endoscopic treatment)
Esophageal cancer (robotic surgery)
Gastric cancer
Liver cancer
Colorectal cancer (early treatment)
Colorectal cancer (surgical treatment)
Cancer pain
Lung cancer
Lung cancer, Mediastinal tumor
Breast reconstruction
Cervical cancer
Childhood cancer
Malignant lymphoma
Multiple myeloma

Center director message